1. Paul, an Apostle of Christ Jesus according to the command of God our Savior and Christ Jesus Who is our Hope.
2. To Timothy my true child in the faith. Grace, mercy and peace from God our Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. As I encouraged you to remain on in Ephesus when I went on into Macedonia, [namely] that you would command some not to teach other stuff.
4. Nor to hold to stories and endless genealogies, which things cause only conjectures rather than the administration of God which is by faith.
5. But the end of the command is love from a clean heart and of a good conscience and of an unhypocritical (NOTE: undramatic) faith.
6. Failing to aim correctly, they turn aside to worthless speech,
7. desiring to be teachers of the law, not understanding neither what they speak nor concerning those things they strongly confirm.
8. But we know that the Law is good, if anyone uses it lawfully.
9. Knowing this, that the law is not set up for the righteous, but for the unlawful and the unruly, the ungodly and sinners, the unholy and the profane, killers of fathers and killers of mothers, murderers,
10. the sexually impure, homosexuals [NOTE: one who lies with a man], kidnappers [NOTE: those who abduct in the slave trade], liars, those who take oaths falsely and if there is any other thing which is setup contrary to pure teaching,
11. according to the Gospel of glory of our blessed God of which I have been entrusted.
12. I give thanks to the one who strengthened me in Christ Jesus our Lord because he considered me faithful placing me into service.
13. Formerly being a blasphemer and a persecutor and a wicked proud man [NOTE: hubris cognate is used], but I was shown mercy because I did these things ignorantly in faithlessness.
14. But the grace of our Lord abounded exceedingly with the faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
15. This word is faithful and worthy of all approval, "Christ Jesus came into the word to save sinners, of whom I am the first."
16. But for this reason I was shown mercy, so that in me, the foremost one, Christ Jesus may show all his long-suffering with an example among those who are about to believe in Him to eternal life.
17. But to the King of the ages, incorruptible, invisible the only God, be homor and glory forever and ever, amen!
18. I deposit this command with you, my son Timothy, according to the prophesies which were poured out on you, that by these [prophesies] you fight as a soldier the good military campaign.
19. Having faith and a good conscience, which some reject concerning the faith, they wrecked their own ships.
20. Among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan in order that they may learn not to blaspheme.