1. This word is faithful, "If anyone reaches to be a bishop, he desires a good work."
2. Therefore it is necessary for the bishop to be unattacked, a man of one woman, sober, temperate [NOTE: in the sense of knowing the wise thing to do, could be translated self-controlled], orderly, hospitable, able to teach,
3. not spending a long time with wine, not a giver of punches, but suitable, not a brawler, not a lover of money,
4. managing one's own house well, having children in submission with all dignity.
5. But if one doesn't know how to manage his own house, how will he care for the church of God?
6. [He must] not be a neophyte, lest he, being puffed up, fall into the judgment of the Devil.
7. But it is necessary also [for him] to have a good testimony from those outside [the church], lest he fall into the blame and snare of the Devil (NOTE: the language suggests that we are talking about someone to whom the world could point to and blame them for causing the sin of others).
8. Likewise deacons should be dignified, not double-tongued, not occupying their mind with much wine, not fond of wretched-gain,
9. holding the mystery of faith with a clean conscience.
10. But these also should be tested first, then they should minister, if [they] are blameless.
11. Likewise women are to be dignified, not devils [slanderers], sober, faithful in all things.
12. Deacons should be men of one women, being good managers of their children and of their own houses.
13. For those serving as deacons acquire for themselves a good foundation and great confidence in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
14. I write these things to you hoping to come to you quickly.
15. But if I delay, that you may know how it is necessary for the house of God to conduct itself, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.
16. And in a way that is confessed [by all], great is the mystery of godliness,
He Who was revealed in the flesh,
Who was justified in the Spirit,
Who was seen by angels,
Who was preached among the Gentiles,
Who was believed among the world,
Who was taken up in glory!