1. But we ask you, brothers, on behalf of the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him.
2. that you not be quickly shaken from your mind neither be disturbed, either by a spirit or by a word or by a letter as through us, that the day of the Lord is at hand.
3. that no one should deceive you in any way, if the apostasy does not come first and the man of lawlessness is revealed, who is the son of destruction [NOTE: Paul is saying that the end cannot come until this happens. Again though, this does not mean they are to look at these things since we already know Christians will be raptured from 1 Thessalonians, but it is confirmation that it couldn't have happened because it hadn't occurred.].
4. The one who is laid against all things and lifted up over all things called God or worshipful, so that he sits himself in the temple of God.
5. Do you not remember that I was still with you I was telling you these things?
6. And now you know the One who restrains him to be revealed in its own good season.
7. For the mystery of lawlessness is already working. Only the One Who restrains until he is taken out of the way.
8. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will destroy with the spirit of His mouth and will abolish with the manifestation of His appearing.
9. Of whose appearing is according to the working of Satan with all power and with signs and with false wonders.
10. And in all deceit of lawlessness for those who are destroyed because they did not welcome the love of the truth to save them.
11. And for this reason God sends to them a working of error to believe these things in falsehood.
12. So that all are judged those who do not believe in the truth but were well-pleased with lawlessness.
13. But we ought to give thanks to God always concerning you, brothers, beloved by the Lord because God chose you from the beginning [NOTE: a variant reads 'first-fruit' instead.] for Himself to salvation in sanctification of the Spirit and in the faith of the truth.
14. To which also He called you through our Gospel to an obtaining of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.
15. Then therefore, brothers, stand, and hold fast the traditions which you were taught whether through a word or through our letter.
16. But our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, the One Who loved us and gave [us] an eternal encouragement and a good hope in grace.
17. To encourage your hearts and to strengthen you with every work and in every good word.