1. But I say, as long as an heir is a child, he differs not at all to a slave, [that is in respect to] the master of all things.
2. But he is under a guardians and house managers until fixed time of the father.
3. So also we, when we were children, we were enslaved by the elementary principles of the world.
4. But when the fullness of the time came, God sent His Son, being born of a woman, being born under the Law.
5. in order that those under the Law may be redeemed so that we may receive adoption.
6. But because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts which cry out, "Abba Father."
7. So that you are no longer a slave, but a son. And if you are a son, then also an heir through God.
8. But then at that time some of you did not know God were enslaved to those who are by nature not gods.
9. But now knowing God, but rather being known by God, how do you turn again to the vain things and the poor elementary things [of this world] to which you desire anew to be enslaved?
10. You observe carefully the days and months and seasons and years.
11. I fear for you lest I have labored in vain for you.
12. Become as I am, because I also am as you are, brothers. I beg you. You did not do wrong to me.
13. But you know that through the weakness of the flesh I preached to you formerly.
14. And you did not despise your trial by my flesh nor spit at me in disdain, but you welcomed me as an angel of God, or as Jesus Christ Himself.
15. Where therefore is your happiness? For I testify to you that if you were able tearing out your eyes, you [would have] given them to me.
16. So then have I become your enemy to speak the truth to you?
17. They [those with bad doctrine] are eager for you, not in a good way, but they desire to close you in in order that you may be eager for them.
18. But it is always good to be eager for a good thing and [make it so that it is] not only in my being present with you [that you do this].
19. My children, for whom I again feel birth pains until Christ is formed in you.
20. But I desire to be present with you even to change my voice, because I am [currently] perplexed with you.
21. Tell me, those desiring to be under the law, do you listen to the law?
22. For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one from the hand-maiden and one from the free woman.
23. But the one from the hand-maiden was born according to the flesh [fleshly desire], but the one from the free woman was through the promise.
24. Which things are allegorized, for they are two covenants, one from Mount Sinai, those born in slavery, which is Hagar.
25. And Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem today, for she is in slavery with her children.
26. But the Jerusalem from above is the free woman, who is our mother.
27. For it is written, "
28. But you brothers, are children according to Isaac of the promise.
29. But just as at that time the one who was born according to the flesh persecuted the one according to the spirit, so too also now [it is the same].
30. But what does the scripture say, "cast out the maid-servant and her son. For the son of the maid-servant will not be an heir with the son" of the free woman (Genesis 21:10).
31. On this account, brothers, we are not children of the maid-servant, but of the free woman.