1. And He went out from there and comes into His hometown and His disciples follow Him.
2. And as it was the sabbath, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were amazed saying, "where did these things come to this guy, and what is this wisdom given to Him and what such powers does He perform through His hands?"
3. "Is this not the carpenter's son, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joseph and Jude and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they were caused to stumble by Him.***
4. And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor unless in His hometown and among His close relations and in His own house."
5. And He was not able to do any miracle there except He healed a few sick people placing His hands [on them.]
6. And He marveled at their unbelief. And He went around the neighboring towns teaching.
7. And He called to Himself the 12 and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over the unclean spirits.
8. And He commanded them that they take nothing on the journey except only a staff, no bread, no bag, no copper in their belt.
9. But they should put on sandals and not wear two tunics.
10. And He was saying to them, "Whenever you enter into a house [to stay], remain there until you leave from that place (area)."***
11. And whatever place does not welcome you, neither listens to you, as you go out from there, shake the earth from under your feet as a testimony to them.
12. And going out, they preached that they should repent.
13. And they cast out many demons and they annoined many sickly people with oil and they healed them.
14. And King Herod heard [about Him] for His name was known anD he was saying that John the Baptist was raised from the dead and for this reason his powers worked in Him.***
15. But some were saying, "He is Elijah," and other were saying, "he is a prophet as one of the prophets."
16. And Herod hearing [this] was saying, "He whom I beheaded, John, this guy was raised."
17. For Herod himself sent [men] and arrested John and bound him in Jail because of Herodias, the wife of his brother Phillip because he married her.
18. For John was saying to Herod, "It is unlawful for you to have your brother's wife."
19. But Herodias had it in for him and she desired to kill him and she was not able.
20. For Herod feared John and knew him to be a holy and righteous man. And he kept him safe and listened to him often being at a loss [what to do] and listened to him gladly.***
21. And after some days at an opportune time when it was Herod's birthday, she made him a feast with the courtiers and the commanders and the first [families] in Galilee.
22. And as the daughter of Herodias came in [to him] dancing, it pleased Herod. And with the others reclining the king said to the young girl, "Ask whatever you want and I shall give it to you."
23. And he swore to her a lot of oaths.
24. And coming out she said to her mother, "For what shall I ask?" And she said, "The head of John the Baptist."
25. And going out immediately with haste with the queen she was asking saying, "I desire this immediately, give me the head of John the Baptist on a platter."***
26. And the king became sorrowful because of the oaths and those reclining [with him], but he did not wish to disappoint her.
27. And immediately the king sent for the executioner. He commanded him to bring him his head
28. And he brought his head on a platter and gave it to the little girl and the little girl gave it to her mother.***
29. And when his disciples heard they went and took his body and laid it in a tomb.***
30. And the apostles came together with Jesus and they were reporting to Him all the things as much as they did and as much as they learned.
31. And He says to them, "Come you yourselves each one to a secluded place and rest a little while" (For there were many coming and going and they didn't have time to [even] eat).
32. And they went away into the boat to a secluded place each one.***
33. And as He saw them departing, He recognized that many also came there on foot together from all the towns and He came before them.***
34. And going out He saw a large crowd and He had mercy on them because they were like sheep nothing having a shepherd. And He began to teach them many things.
35. And already after many hours had passed His disciples came before Him and were saying, "This is a deserted place and it [has been] many hours already."
36. "Send them away that they may go out to the neighboring areas and towns to buy themselves something to eat."
37. But He answered and said to them, "You give them [something] to eat." And they say to Him, "[are you saying to us that] going away,, we may buy bread for 200 denariii and give them [bread] to eat?"***
38. But He says to them, "How much bread do you have? Go and see." And finding out they say, "five and two fish."
39. And He commanded them all to sit down. Party by party on the green grass.***