Where Classicists and Bible scholars feel right at home
29.40% of NT
0.74% of LXX
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
1. But before the Passover feast, Jesus seeing that His hour came, in order that He may cross over from this world to the Father, as He loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.***
2. And as dinner came about, when the devil already entered into his heart in order that Judas the son of Simon Iscariot,***
3. knowing that the Father gave all things into His hands and that He came from God and goes away to God,
4. rises from the meal and put His clothes aside and taking a towel, He put it around Himself.***
5. Then He threw water into a basin and started to wash the feet of the disciples and to wipe [them] with the towel which was around Him.
6. Then He comes to Simon Peter, he says to Him, "Lord do you wash my feet?"
7. Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not know now, but you will understand after these things."
8. Peter says to Him, "You will never in any way wash my feet." Jesus answered him,"If I do not wash you, you have no part with me."***
9. Simon Peter says to Him, "Lord not only my feet, but also my hands and my head [then please]."***
10. Jesus says to him, "the one who has been bathed has no need to wash a part of his body except his feet, but he is wholly clean. And ya'll are clean, but not all ya'll.***
11. For He had known the one who was going to hand Him over. For this reason He said, "not all of ya'll are clean."
12. Therefore when He washed their feet and took His clothes and sat back down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done for you?"
13. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord' and you speak correctly because I am [these things]."
14. "Therefore if I washed your feet, the 'Lord' and 'Teacher' you ought also to wash one another's feet."***
15. "For I gave an example to you that just as I have done you also may do."
16. "Truly, truly I say to you that a slave is not greater than his lord neither is an apostle greater than the one who sent him."
17. "If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."
18. "I am not speaking about all of you, I know whom I chose, but in order that the scripture may be fulfilled, 'The one who nibbles my bread raises up his heel on Me.'"
19. "I am speaking now to you before it comes about in order that you may believe when it happens that I am He."
20. "Truly, truly I say to you the one who receives someone I send receives me and the one who receives Me receives the One Who sent Me."
21. Jesus saying these things was greatly troubled in spirit and testified and said, "Truly, truly I say to you that one of you will betray me."
22. The disciples looked at one another being ignorant about the one He speaks.
23. One of His disciples was laying back on the bosom of Jesus, whom Jesus loved.
24. Then Simon Peter leans over to this one [the one described in verse 23, i.e. John] to hear from him who it was about whom Jesus speaks.***
25. Then that one [John] laying back thus on Jesus' breast says to Him, "Lord who is it?"***
26. Jesus answered, "it is that one with whom I dip the morsel and I will give [it] to him." Then dipping the morsel, he gives it to Judas of Simon Iscariot.
27. And after the morsel, then Satan entered into him. Then Jesus says to him, "what you do, do quickly."
28. But no one understood to what purpose He said this to him.***
29. For some thought since Judas had the money box that Jesus says to him, "purchase those things of which we have need for the feast," or "give something to the poor."
30. Then taking the morsel He went out immediately. And it was night.***
31. Then when he went out, Jesus says, "now the Son of man is glorified and the God is glorified in Him."
32. [If God is glorified in Him (Jesus)], God will also glorify Him [Jesus] in Him [God] and He will immediately glorify Him.***
33. "Children, I am with you a little longer yet; seek me and just as I said to the Jews, 'Where I go you are not able to come' (John 7:33-34; John 8:21) I say even to you now."***
34. "I give to you a new command that you may love one another just as I loved you that you also may love one another."
35. "In this all men will know that you are My disciples. If you have love for one another."
36. Simon Peter says to Him, "Where are You going?" Jesus answered him, "Where I go you are not able now to follow Me, but you will follow afterwards."
37. Peter says to Him, "Lord, how is it that I am not able to follow You now? I will lay my life down for You."
38. Jesus answered, "Will you lay your life down for Me? Truly, truly I say to you, the cock will not call until you deny me three times."***