1. As Jesus said these things He went out with His disciples across the gully of Kidron where there was a garden into which He went and His disciples.***
2. And Judas the one betraying Him knew the place that often times Jesus and His disciples were gathered.
3. Therefore Judas, taking the cohort both from the chief priests and from the Pharisees, comes there with torches and oil lamps and weapons.
4. Therefore Jesus knowing all the things which were coming to Him went and says to them, "Whom do you seek?"
5. They answered Him, "Jesus the Nazarene." He says to them, "I am He." And Judas, the one who betrayed Him stood with them.***
6. Therefore as He said [this] to them, "I am He," They went backwards and fell on the ground.
7. Then again He asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus the Nazarene."
8. Jesus answered, "I said to you, 'I am He,' if then you seek Me, leave these to depart."***
9. In order that the word may be fulfilled which said, "Those whom You have given to Me I did not lose any of them" (John 6:39; 17:12).
10. Then Simon Peter having a sword, drew it and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. And the name of the slave was Malchus.***
11. Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put away your sword* into its sheath***
12. Then the handful of Romans and their commander and the underlings of the Jews seized Jesus and they bound Him.
13. And they led Him to Annas first. For he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas who was the high-priest that year.
14. And Caiaphas was the one who counseled the Jews, "it is fitting for One Man to die for the nation."
15. And Simon Peter was following Jesus and another disciple. And that disciple was known to the high-priest and went in with Jesus, into the court of the high-priest.
16. And Peter was standing at the gate outside. Then the other disciple known to the high-priest went out and spoke to the gate keeper and led Peter in.
17. Then the young girl door keeper says to Peter, "Aren't you also from the disciples of this man?" He says, "I am not."
18. And the slaves were standing around and the underlings [of the Jews] having made a fire of hot embers because it was cold. And they were warming themselves. And Peter was also with them standing and warming himself.
19. Then the high priest asked Jesus concerning His disciples and concerning His teaching.***
20. Jesus answered him, I" have spoken openly to the world, I always taught in the synagogue and in the temple, where all the Jews gather and I didn't speak anything in secret.***
21. "Why do you ask Me? Ask those who heard what I taught to them. Behold these know what things I spoke."***
22. And upon saying these things, one of the underlings standing gave a blow to Jesus saying, "Thus you answer the high priest?"***
23. Jesus answered him, "If I spoke wrongly testify concerning the wrong, but if truly, why did you strike Me?"***
24. Then Annas sent Him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.
25. And Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. Then [someone] said to him, "Are you not also from His disciples? He denied it and said, 'I am not'"
26. One from the slaves of the high priest, a relative of him whose ear Peter cut off, says, "Did I not see you in the garden with Him?"***
27. Then again Peter denied [it] and immediately a rooster made a sound.***
28. Then they lead Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium. And it was early. And they did not go inside the Praetorium lest they defile themselves, but may eat the Passover meal.***
29. Then Pilate came out to them and said, "What charge do you bring against this Man?"
30. They answered and said to him, "If He was not doing evil, we would not hand Him over to you."***
31. Then Pilate said to them, "You take Him and judge Him according to your Law" The Jews said to him, "It is not permitted for us to kill anyone."***
32. In order that the word of Jesus may be fulfilled which He said indicating what kind of death He was about to die.
33. Then again Pilate went into the Praetorium and called Jesus and said to Him, "Are You the King of the Jews?"
34. Jesus answered, "Does your statement originate from yourself or did another speak to you concerning Me?"
35. Pilate answered, "I'm not a Jew am I? Your nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What did you do?"
36. Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were from this world, my servants would struggle in order that I may not be handed over to the Jews. But at this time, My kingdom is not here."
37. Then Pilate said to Him, "Then You are a King, no?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a King. I have been born for this and for this I have come into the world in order that I may testify to the truth. Each one who is from the truth hears my voice."
38. Pilate says to Him, "What is truth?" And saying this again he went out to the Jews and says to them, "I find no blame in Him."***
39. "But there is a custom for you that I shall release one for you on Passover. Take counsel together then, Shall I release for you the King of the Jews?"
40. Then they cried out again saying, "No this one, but Barabbas!" Now Barabbas was a pirate.***