1. Therefore then Pilate took Jesus and beat Him.
2. And the soldiers making a crown of thorns, they put it on His head and wrapped a purple cloak around Him.
3. And they came to Him and were saying, "Hail the King of the Jews." And they gave to Him punches."
4. And Pilate came outside again and he says to them, "Behold I lead Him outside in order that you may know that I find no blame in Him."***
5. Therefore Jesus came outside, wearing the thorny crown and the purple cloak. And he says to them, "Behold the man."
6. Therefore when they saw Him the chief priests and his underlings cried out saying, "Crucify, crucify!" Pilate says to them, "You take Him and crucify [Him]! For I do not find any blame in Him"
7. The Jews answered him, "We have a Law and according to the Law He ought to die because He makes Himself the Son of God."
8. When therefore Pilate heard this account, he feared greatly
9. And he went into the Praetorium again and says to Jesus, "Where are you from?" But Jesus did not give him an answer.
10. Therefore Pilate says to Him, "Do you not speak to me? Do you not know that I have the authority to release You and I have the authority to crucify You?"
11. Jesus answered, "You would have no authority over Me at all if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed Me to you has the greater sin."
12. At this point Pilate tried to release Him, but the Jews were crying out saying, "If you release This Man you are no friend of Caesar. Everyone who makes himself a king speaks against Caesar."
13. Therefore Pilate hearing these words led Jesus outside and sat on the Bema to the place called Paved with Stones (Lithostrotos), but in Hebrew Gabbatha.
14. And it was the preparation of Passover, it was the eight hour, and he says to the Jews, "Behold your King!"
15. Then they cried out, "Take Him, Take Him, crucify Him!" Pilate says to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
16. Therefore then he handed Him over to them in order He may be crucified.
17. Therefore they took Jesus and bearing a cross Himself He went out to that which is called The Place of the Skull. It is called in Hebrew Golgotha where they crucified Him.
18. And with Him there were two others, one there on the left and one there on the right and in the middle Jesus.
19. And Pilate wrote even a title and place it on the cross. And it was written, "Jesus the Nazarene, the King of the Jews."
20. Therefore many of the Jews read this title because it was near the place of the city where Jesus was crucified. And it was written in Hebrew, in Latin and in Greek.***
21. Therefore the chief priests of the Jews were saying to Pilate, "Don't write, 'I am the King of the Jews,' but 'He said, "I am the King of the Jews."'"***
22. Pilate answered, "What I have written, I have written."
23. They soldiers then when they crucified Jesus they took His clothes and four parts, a part to each soldier and also His tunic. But the tunic was without a seam being woven from the top down the whole garment.
24. Therefore they said to one another, "let us not rip it, but let cast lots for it [to decide ownership] for one [of us]." In order the scripture may be fulfilled saying, "They divided My clothes among each of them and they cast lots for My himation."
25. And they stood near the cross of Jesus, His mother and His mother's sister, Maria the wife of Klopas and Maria Magdalene.
26. Then Jesus seeing His mother and His disciple whom He loved standing [there] says to His mother, "Woman, behold your son."
27. Then He says to His disciple, "Behold your mother." And from that hour that disciple took her into his own."
28. After these things Jesus seeing that already all things have been finished, says in order that the scripture may be completed, "I thirst."
29. A vessel full of sour wine was lain [there]. Therefore a sponge full of the sour wine with hyssop around it was brought to His mouth.
30. When therefore He received the sour wine Jesus said, "It has been finished." And bowing His head down He gave up His spirit."
31. Then the Jews, since it was the preparation [for the Passover], in order that the bodies may not remain on the cross on the Sabbath; for that sabbath was the great day. They asked Pilate that they may break their legs and that they may take them [away].
32. The soldiers then came and broke the legs of the first man and of the other one crucified with him.
33. But on coming to Jesus as they saw He had already died did not break His legs.
34. But one of the soldiers stabbed his rib with his spear and it immediately blood and water came out.***
35. And the one who saw testified [to this] and his testimony is true and he knows that he speaks truly that you also may believe.
36. For these things happened in order that the scripture may be fulfilled, "His bone will not be broken" (Exodus 12:46; Numbers 9:12; Psalm 34:20).***
37. And again another scripture says, "They will look on Him whom they pricked" (Zechariah 12:10).
38. And after these things Joseph from Arimathea, who was one of Jesus' disciples, but in secret because of the fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he may take the body of Jesus. And Pilate turned over the body. Therefore he went and took His body.
39. And also Nicodemas came, the one who came to Him first at night bearing a mixture of myrrh and aloe, [weighing] like a hundred pounds.
40. Then they took the body of Jesus and bound it with linen cloths with the spices just as it is the custom of the Jews to bury.
41. But there was in the place where He was crucified a garden and in the garden a new tomb in which no one yet was buried.
42. Therefore because of the preparation of the Jews, because the tomb was near, they placed Jesus there.***