1. After these things was a feast of the Jews and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2. And there is in Jerusalem at the thing for sheep a pool called in the Hebrew tongue Bethzatha having five covered colonnades.***
3. In these [colonnades] lay a multitude of those sick: those blind, those lame and those withered [waiting for the movement of the water].***
4. [For an angel of the Lord at times would bath in the pool and disturb the water. Therefore the first one among the confusion to go into the water would be made well. So at any such time (someone) with such a disease would be laying there.]***
5. And there was a certain man there who was thirty-eight years in his sickness.
6. Jesus seeing this man lying and knowing that he had spent a lot of time [in this condition] says to him, "Do you desire to be made well?"
7. The sick man answered Him, "Lord I have no man that when the water is disturbed may take me into the pool. But when I am coming, another goes down before me."***
8. Jesus say to him, "Rise, take your bed and walk."
9. And immediately, the man became well and he took his bed and walked. And it was the sabbath on that day.
10. Therefore the Jews were saying to the one who was made well, "it is the sabbath, and it is not permitted for you to carry your bed!"
11. And he answered them, "The one who made me well, that one said to me, "Take up your bed and walk."
12. They asked him, "Who is the Man who said to you, "Take up [your bed] and walk"?
13. And the one who was made well did not know Whom it was, for Jesus escaped from the crowd which was in the place.***
14. After these things, Jesus finds him in the Temple and said to him, "Behold having been made well, do not sin any longer so that nothing worse may happen to you."
15. The man went away and told the Jews that it [was] Jesus Who made him well.***
16. And for this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus because He did these things on the sabbath.
17. But Jesus was answering them, "My Father works right now and I work as well."***
18. For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking to kill Him even more because not only did he break the sabbath, but also he was calling God, 'His own Father,' making Himself equal to God.***
19. Therefore Jesus was answering and saying to them, "Truly, truly I say to you, the Son is not able to do anything from Himself, except what He sees His Father doing. For whatever That one does, these things also the Son likewise does."***
20. "For the Father loves the Son and shows to Him what He does and He will show to Him greater works than these so that you may marvel."
21. "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives life, so too those whom the Son desires, He gives [to them] life."
22. "For the Father does not judge anyone, but He gave all judgment to the son"
23. "In order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The one who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, the One who sent Him [the son].
24. "Truly, truly I say to you that the one who hears My word and believes in the One who sent Me has eternal life and does not come into judgment, but has been transferred from death into life."***
25. "Truly, truly I say to you that the hour is coming and is now when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those hearing will live."***
26. "For just as the Father has life in Himself, so too He [made] the Son have life in Himself."***
27. "And He gave authority to Him to perform judgment because He is the Son of man."
28. "Do not marvel at this, that an hour is coming in which all those in the tombstones will hear His voice."***
29. "And they will come out, those doing good things to resurrection of life, and those practicing worthless deeds to a resurrection of judgment."
30. "I am not able to do anything from Myself. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is right because I do not seek my will, but the will of the One Who sent Me."
31. "If I testify concerning myself, My testimony is not true."
32. "There is another, the one who testifies concerning me, and I know that [His] testimony which He testifies concerning Me is true."***
33. "You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth."***
34. "But I am not receiving the testimony by man, but I say these things in order that you may be saved."***
35. "That one was a light, one burning and shining, and you were willing to rejoice exceedingly to [this] time in his light."
36. "But I have a testimony greater than John, for the works which the Father gave to me so that I shall complete these. These same works which I do testify concerning Me that the Father sent me."***
37. "And the Father Who sent Me, That One has testified concerning Me. You have never heard His voice nor have you ever seen His form."
38. "And you do not have His word remaining in yourselves because [even though] That One sent Him, you do not believe in Him."***
39. "You search the writing because you think that in them you have eternal life and these are the things giving evidence concerning Me."
40. "And you do not desires to come to Me so that you may have life."
41. "I do not receive glory from men."
42. "But I have known you that you do not have the love of God in yourselves."
43. "I have come in the name of My Father, and you do not receive Me. If another may come in his own name, you will receive that one."
44. "How are you able to believe the glory receiving from one another and you do not seek the glory which is from the Only God?"
45. "Do not think that I will accuse you to My Father. The one who accuses you is Moses in whom you have hoped."***
46. "For if you believe in Moses, you would believe in Me. For that one wrote concerning Me. "
47. "But if you do not believe in the writings of that one, how will you believe in My words?"